Not having a healthy breakfast in the morning can bring down your day the way a bad date can bring down your Friday night. You NEED to eat breakfast! I hear your whining, “I don’t have time.” “I’m not hungry in the morning.” Well Chica Irvina to the rescue. I ‘m giving you my favorite, lite, sacred, delicious, 20 minutes or less ( except for Saturday) recipes. Go forth and feed yourself dang it!
If you still feel like a kitty that won’t jump boat then remember these things:
1. People who eat breakfast are healthier and weigh less than people who don’t
2. People who eat breakfast are more alert at work and get better grades at school
3. People who eat breakfast get to try Irvina’s yummy breakfast recipes!
The 70’s were trippy, the Beattles rocked it out,
but Groovy Banalime-applinach-oothies are the best drink from this century…no doubt!
The grooviest smoothie around. Not only does it taste “Grade A” A-MAZING it is also good for your brain, your eyes and your bones. Studies have shown that spinach improves learning capacity and motor skills, provides iron for energy, prevents cancer cells from forming. Trust me after you try this smoothie you’ll consider Jamba Juice tap water.
½ of a lime (with the rind)
1 bunch of spinach
2 cups of water
Chop everything before hand (the lime should be chopped really small) and then dump the apples first, then the spinach, then the rest into the blender.
Serves you, sister, mom, dad and left overs for a after school snack!
Amigas is Spanish for friends! This recipe has one rule:
When you make these for breakfast you have to call an old friend within 24 hours and say, “Hola Amiga, que pasa?” Nothing like breakfast to bring friends together!
1 large skillet
1 wooden spoon
4 corn tortilla’s
2 tablespoons of chopped onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Salsa to serve on the side
Serves: Family of 4 Cook Time: 15 minutes
1. Tear the corn tortilla’s into pieces that are a little bigger than a postage stamp
2. Heat the olive oil in large skillet
3. Add the cut tortillas to the skillet and brown them until they are crunchy like tortilla chips. Remove from skillet.
4. Add the chopped onions to the skillet and cook until they turn a caramel color
5. Add salt, pepper, tortillas and beaten eggs to the skillet
6. Toss until eggs are fully cooked. Serve with salsa to taste.
7. Don’t forget to grab your cell phone on the way out the door!
Have Apple Halves!
Have an apple,
Have a seat,
Have some peanut butter,
And stay up beat!
Don’t forget breakfast,
Not hungry today?
Have an apple anyway!
Eating breakfast when you’re not hungry or in a hurry is like hanging out with your friends when you’re bummed out. You don’t really want to, but in the end you feel better and are glad you did. If you’re not hungry then grab something small and healthy like an apple with some peanut butter.
½ cup of natural peanut butter
1 chopping board
1. )Take one apple cut it in half
2.) Take those halves and cut them in half,
3.) Take the half, halves and halve them again
4.) And then you “have” your apple halves J
5.) Serve with all natural peanut butter, like Laura Schudder’s
*DON’T* Eat peanut butter brands like Jiffy, Skippy or Bonny…if it ends in a “Y” you should ask, “Why” does this cost so little? Because it’s made with partially hydrogenated oils that will hurt your precious little bodies. Trust me on this one!
*DIDJA KNOW?* That the skin of an apple prevents cancer? Yeah, the apple skin contains 4 milligrams of quercetin, an anti-oxident that prevents oxygen molecules from damaging cells. This can prevent cell changes that can lead to cancer. They found out that men who had the highest intake of quercetin lowered their risk of heart disease by 20%. Now go tell your daddy that!
1 “Eggcelelent” girl!
This one person omelette made with basil and tomatoes is named after me. Yes, I am calling myself “eggcellent!” Mostly because the omelette looks like me. The tomatoes are my red lips, the basil is my green eyes. Wrap it up and you’ve got “1 Eggcelent girl!”
1 fresh basil leaf
1 tomato wedge
1 dash of salt
1 dash of pepper
2 table spoons of olive oil
2 table spoons of grated parmasean cheese
1. Beat eggs, paramsean cheese, salt and pepper with a fork
2. Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat
3. Pour in egg mixture
4. Just as the eggs start cooking add the tomato, smile side up, tear the basil leaves in half to make two eyes.
5. Say, “Have a nice day in my tummy “Eggcellent girl”
This shake got me through my teen years. Between school starting at (thanks Newport Mesa school board) after school cheer practice, pep rallies, charity work, family and dreaded geometry, I needed something to keep me balanced. Blessed as I am I had a sweet, little Mexican lady who I like to call “mom” who would hand me one of these while I straightened my hair. It’s delish!
1/3 cup of peanut butter
1 raw egg
2 cups milk
1/3 cup wheat germ
Blend it up girly!
Serves: 2 teenage girls and 1 mom
Lickity Liscious Lemon and poppy seed scones!
After a long week of school or work , it’s time to have some fun in the kitchen! Make these scones with girlfriends, mom or take some over to your dad’s house.
3 cups all purpose flour (organic)
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar (organi)
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 teaspoons grated lemon peel (organic)
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup (or more) whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt
3. Add butter and using clean hands mix it all (okay so you’re freaked out by using your hands, but I’m 24 and cannot afford a food processor, God gave me hands for my 20’s I’m sure)
4. Whisk egg and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend.
5. Add to flour mixture. Keep mixin with those hands until moist clumps form. Add 1/3 cup milk. Mix just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry.
6. Gather dough into ball. Flatten into 8-inch round. Cut round into 8 wedges.
7. Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
8. Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
9. They’ll keep baking if you don’t take them off of the sheet. So move it sistah!
Make some Rest!
Nothing like Sunday to make some rest,
To wake up leisurely,
To wear a green dress,
To go into church,
To be calm and pray,
To eat brunch with friends
While you laugh by the bay.
Words out, I’m a Jew! Actually “half-a-jew” which means I try to practice the Sabbath day. I’m so hyper during the week that I need a day to “chill-lax.” A day when I don’t cook if I don’t want to, a day where I visit with friends at leisure, write down a rhyme or two, read a chapter or so, bike ride by the beach, pay a visit to my sister and help her rearrange her leather sectional sofa for a more inviting atmosphere or just go home and sit on my own leather sofa set and get paint on everything else in my living room, but the canvas. We all need to learn how to “make some rest.”
I hope you all liked my idea’s for
“Breakfast! Monday through Sunday the easy way!”
Don’t forget to get on the internet and search for all of your bedroom sets from my company
it’ll be good for you ;)
J x o J xo J