Thursday, December 07, 2006

Throwing your own Birthday Party Ettiquette !



My Birthday Bash….



So I almost didn’t celebrate my birthday this year. I know, seriously that’s like a leprechaun saying, “Bah Humbug” to St. Patrick’s day. I was going to play it cool like a stiletto wearing, prada bag carrying, skinny chic that is too cool to celebrate her birthday past 21 years old. Then I realized I am a sandal wearing, canvas bag covered in eclectic pins carrying, senorita who IS the epitome of “cool!” I am so glad I came to my senses because my 24 th birthday was like a Disney movie, colorful, creative and I didn’t want it to end! Here’s how it went down…





Hostess with the mostess ….


Unfortunately, my apartment, quaint and cozy as it is is not exactly entertaining material. I mean there are mini vans bigger than my living room. However, I found a classy Mexican food restaurant in Laguna Beach with amazing Pineapple martinis called Las Brisas. I thought it would be nice to add a personal touch to the dining table with cutesy little parting gifts. And I came up with “Madam Irvina’s Fortune Baggie’s” They are so cute! Am I clever or what??? This is how they are done:



You need:



*Hole puncher


*Ribbon


*Miniature paper bags


*Paper


*Scalloped scissors


*Colored pencils


*Strawberries


*Chocolate


*Your wit



To make:


1.) Pre cut pretty ribbons 5 inches in length


2.) Pre cut 1x1 squares with scalloped scissors


3.) Write “You…” on one side of the squares


4.) On the opposite side and the opposite end (so it flips over) write a cute saying like, “You....will be a hot mom!” “You….will marry a man who knows how to make homemade ice cream.”


5.) Crease the flap of the bags and hole punch over the crease


6.) Place two chocolate covered strawberries inside


7.) Slip the ribbon through the hole and the “You” card.


8.) Tie in a knot and voila! You have “Madam Irvina’s Fortune Baggie’s.”



They were a big hit! The girls savored these while they told funny “Irvina’s crazy and this is why” stories J


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Words of Wisdom…


You know how they say, “No one likes a tipsy bride.” I say likewise with the birthday hostess. Not that I was under the table drunk (What do you think I am 23?) It’s just hard to hostess everyone when you are half a beat slow from sipping. You catch me? Oh well, wisdom for the next 60 birthday parties to come. Next time I’ll save the martinis for post party unwinding with a few of the girls.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It seriously has been the best birthday! I’ll never forget playing G.I. Joes with my nieces and nephews on my actual birthday night. I got to debut G.I. birthday girl; she was quite literally “the bomb.” Listening to my sister Kim reminisce that I looked like a hairy little monkey when I was born. Sweet, sweet sister she is. Opening the gift from my boss, The Cricut. (For those unrefined, non-scrap bookers out there who actually have a life, The Cricut just happens to be the biggest, baddest scrap booking toy ever!) Getting a message from my friend Will the following weekend saying, “We’re throwing you a party tonight for your birthday and uh it would be nice if you were here.” To getting a half fallen on the floor birthday cake from my friend Jackie. The three second rule applies to birthday cakes right?



Now here is a deep thought…(Oprah, you’ll like this J)Birthdays are simply a reflection of life. It’s better with close friends, delicious food, laughing hysterically and being delightfully surprised by all the gifts that come your way!



Ciao!


No comments: